If someone you care about has been a victim of sexual violence, there are several things you can do to help.
- Check to ensure their safety.
- Believe them.
- Encourage the expression of any and all feelings, and LISTEN.
- Let them know that this was not their fault and that they are not alone.
- Help them report the crime to law enforcement.
- Make sure that they get prompt medical help.
- You can also help by gathering information and resources that can assist survivors of elder sexual abuse. Contact your local rape crisis center for information on how to help your loved one.