- About Us
- Advocacy Core Training
- SANE Trainings
- Campus-Based Services: Addressing Sexual Assault Trauma
- Civil Legal Trainings
- Law Enforcement Trainings
- Male Survivor Peer Support Groups: How to Start and Best Practices
- Safer, Smarter Kids
- Trauma Informed Care for Adolescent Survivors
- Trauma Informed Care for Foster and Adoptive Parents of Sexually Abused Children
- Trauma Informed Care with LGBTQ Victims of Sexual Violence
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Help for Victims
- Information for Parents
- Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking
- Trauma Informed Care for Adolescent Survivors
- En Español
The training is geared toward medical professionals: ARNPs, RNs, and physicians and is constructed by adhering to the National Training Standards for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examiners for adults and adolescents. The training is also valuable to prosecutors, law enforcement officers, victim advocates and crime lab analysts. Courses run M-F 8:00-5:00 and include both lecture and hands-on skills training.
Taught by an experienced, highly skilled and well-credentialed licensed nurse trainer, this training
provides an interesting and interactive format for learning critical information about this important field. Training materials are regularly updated to reflect current best practices and participants are equipped with a comprehensive training manual, complete with color photos for injury documentation, evidence based research articles and references. Group exercises are designed to incorporate lecture materials with hands-on experience. Small class size allows for individual attention from the instructor. Additionally, FCASV offers follow up courses, often free of charge, for past participants.
Throughout the week we invite individuals from the community to give guest presentations on working with law enforcement, providing advocacy and therapeutic services, working with prosecutors and crime lab analysis. Nursing participants receive 40 CEUs. Florida Council Against Sexual Violence is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Florida Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the Florida Board of Nursing Provider ID Number 50-3103. The course does meet the requirement of the International Association of Forensic Nurses, the certifying body of SANE, that students undergo a 40 hour course before becoming eligible to sit for the national exam.
Course Fees: $350 (inclusive of all training materials and CEUs)
SANE Training Topic Highlights:
- Information on PTSD
- Survivor Stories
- Anatomy Review
- Taking the Medical Forensic History
- Head to Toe Assessment for Females and Males
- Forensic Documentation
- Trauma Identification
- Forensic Photography
- Evidence Collection and Packaging Techniques
- Drug Facilitated Sexual Assault
- Skills Practice Sessions with Mock Case Studies
- Crime Lab Analysis
- Treatment Recommendations
- Continuum of Care, Referrals and Discharge
- Courtroom Preparation and Testimony
Upcoming 40 Hour Trainings*:
* Please note: FCASV does not reserve room blocks for training participants. However, we do list nearby hotels on the registration confirmation page that participants receive via email after registering.
For this training date there are two options available: clinical validation OR clinical skills practice. Participants who wish to participate in the clinical validation course will have an opportunity to verify their competency with a SANE-A Certified instructor in a clinical simulation. Participants who wish to participate in the clinical skills practice will have an opportunity to work with a SANE-A Certified instructor in a clinical simulation to practice exam skills such as speculum exams, evidence collection, interviewing skills, etc.
All attendees are required to attend the entire training and participate in follow-up surveys once the training is complete. Attendees that are selected for the training can attend free of charge. In order to attend the clinical validation or the clinical skills practice course, ALL applicants must have:
- Completed a qualified 40 hour didactic SANE training
- Been an RN for a minimum of two years
Additionally, individuals wishing to participate in the clinical validation course must have:
- Been checked off as competent to conduct speculum exams by a qualified preceptor
- Participated in at least one real case (either shadowed or conducted).
Applicants who are selected and agree to attend who then miss the training without notification given at least one week prior to the training will be subject to a $500 charge by FCASV. Participants are responsible for their own travel and hotel accommodation during the training.
 Please note that participants’ employing agency may require extra or separate validation.
Future Courses TBA